- We are considering doing a limited run of about 300 or so CD-ROM versions of A Gathering of Memories if there seems to be enough demand.
- The second print run of A Gathering of Memories is now long sold out. Copies went to nearly all the 50 states, a half-dozen countries and multiple territories. There's even a copy in the Library of Paris.
- The original Gathering of Memories team is now hard at work on a sequel. More information can be found on Saugus' Journal on Livejournal in the Time and the River article.
- Discussions about the upcoming sequel are being held in the Saugus discussion groups. You can find new announcements in the Saugus Announcements discussion group and can find general discussions in the Saugus Society Talk discussion group.
DescriptionA Gathering of Memories collects the memories and photographs of scores of people into one 500+ page hardcover volume. In the words of the editors:
We have not undertaken a history book as such: our mission was to gather memories. Scores of people have responded with their memories, rich with their love of the town, warm with their personal reminiscences. They offered their recollections of the events of their times, their interpretations of what they saw. They are not always in agreement with one another. These are individual accounts, seen through individual eyes, and all are subject to the modifications that time imposes. We have not played arbiter in this matter as we have gathered these memories. These are their memories, not subject to our stern scrutiny. As for us, when we undertook the happy task of gathering your memories we knew the risks involved. Considering the voluntary nature of this flow of material into our book we did not hope to catch in our net an exact and full account of all the details of a 100 years in the life of our town. We have not been frivolous in our search and we have tried to be fair. To those we have missed or the events we have not noted, we ask your understanding.
The Table of Contents:
- Growing up in Saugus
- Saugus Center
- East Saugus
- The Golden Hills
- North Saugus
- Baker Hill
- Places of Worship
- Historic Sites
- Fun and Games
- A Widely Diverse Set of Events
- The Passing Scene
- Route 1: From Dirt Path to the Gateway to the North
- Public Buildings and Capital Improvements
- Our Rivers and Ponds
- The Band
- Fire and Police
- Men and Women in the Service
- Some Names and Faces from the Century
- Time Line
Order A Gathering of MemoriesOrdering a copy from the second print run is easy. Download the order form, print it, fill it out, and make out a check or money order for:
- Purchase in MA: $45 including tax and mailing per book.
- Out-of-state purchase: $43 including mailing per book.
and send it all to:
The Millennium Book Associates, Inc.
P.O. Box 1084
Saugus, MA 01906
Copies will also be available for purchase (while they last) at both branches of SaugusBank and the Peter Rosetti Insurance Agency in Cliftondale Square for $42 each. After expenses, all income will be applied to scholarships for deserving SHS students through appropriate channels. The 2001 John Burns Millennium Book Associates Scholarship went to Matthew Smith who will attend Harvard University.
You may also still be able to track down a copy in various bookstores; the ISBN number is 0-9703141-0-8.